The Mission of LAS is to ensure the independence and dignity of seniors by protecting their legal rights through education, counseling, and advocacy.
Our vision is that all seniors will be able to live with safety, dignity, and the greatest possible independence regardless of their economic, social, or health circumstances.
Our location is 1970 Broadway in Uptown Oakland. Our family friendly office is directly above the 19th street BART station and across the street from a major AC Transit transfer point at Broadway and 20th Streets. With easy access via the free "B" Broadway Shuttle Bus, we are accessible from anywhere in the downtown area. Click here for a map.
Our supporters: LAS is supported by a variety of sources, including volunteers, individual donors, foundations, government agencies, and the State Bar of California Legal Services Trust Fund Program. See a list of our grant funders, or see how you can get involved!
- Legal Assistance for Seniors was founded in 1976 by three women who re-entered the workforce with the goal of protecting seniors' legal rights.
- The agency began as a storefront office in downtown Oakland, with the mission of promoting the independence and dignity of Alameda County seniors by providing legal services to assure life’s most basic needs.
- LAS obtained its first federal funding in 1978 and became incorporated as a private nonprofit organization in 1984.
- In 1988, recognizing the need to provide seniors with assistance in understanding the complex rules governing Medicare and other health insurance programs, the agency began offering the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) as part of its services.
- In 2000, the agency expanded its service base to include limited legal assistance to HICAP clients in Contra Costa County.
- Today, LAS is the only legal services program in Alameda County devoted exclusively to assisting seniors.
Who We Are
Board of Directors
Maria I. Lawless - President
Monica Dell'Osso - Vice-President
Devina E. Whitley - Treasurer
Joy Soulier - Secretary
Board of Directors - Complete List
Francel D'Andrea - Executive Director
Gene Hacker - Operations & HR Manager
LAS participates in Alameda County 2-1-1 and Ptown Life (City of Pleasanton):